Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Belated Pi Day Pie



This Strawberry Rhubarb Pie didn't come together until the day AFTER Pi Day. Oh well. Life with two kids - I need a weekend. What else can I say? I managed to get out to the store to get the pie ingredients on Pi Day, so that counts for something. I was a bit short on the rhubarb (maybe 1/2lb. under) and my son and I pilfered three strawberries from the quart before the pie came to fruition. As a result, I used one of my smallest pie dishes and used scant cupfulls of the sugars. It was drunkenly sliced into and enjoyed on the first date night my husband and I have had in about six months. I also should mention that I scored some major tacky points by then bringing said sliced-into pie over to our friends' house for dinner the next night. It's OK; they have kids too. They understand. For the recipe, click here. My only substitutions are that I used my own crust recipe and arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch. I also did not futz with any of that egg-glazed crust nonsense.

Current Pie Tally: 137

No comments: