Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Labor Day Pie Contest Practice



As the big Takoma Park Farmer's Market Apple Pie Contest loomed closer, I baked an experimental pie or two for the Labor Day Block Party as I have done in the past. It's becoming the venue for getting a sneak peak at my pie contest entries. The two trial pies you see here are an Apple Custard Pie and a Plum Lucky Apple Pie (apple & plums). The Apple Custard Pie was good, but it didn't make the cut. I baked it according to my Rhubarb Custard Pie recipe and substituted granny smith apples for the rhubarb. I cooked it at 400F for 40-45 min. The custard came out great, but the fruit just didn't have enough full-bodied flavor to make it a contest contender. Maybe if I could find some super flavorful super sour apples in the future it would have a chance. The Plum Lucky Apple Pie was a crowd favorite at the Block Party, so I decided to make one of those for the contest even though it seemed a bit boring to me. More on that in the next post.

Current Pie Tally: 175

No comments: