Friday, June 24, 2011

Berry Good-Bye



I made this pie for the farewell party my knitting group is throwing in my honor. Sweet endings are always the easiest. Madison knitters, I will miss you.

Strawberry Pie with a Hint of Rhubarb (filling for 10" pie)
1.5 c. rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2" thick slices
32 oz. strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered depending on size
1/2 c. brown sugar, heaped
1/2 c. white sugar
4 T. arrowroot starch
1 t. ground cinnamon (I used Penzey's)

Mix all of the above ingredients together in a large bowl. Line your 10" pie dish with the bottom crust. Pour and heap filling mix into crust. Set upper crust on top. Trim edges and seal (I use a fork to crimp the edges). Cut a vent into the top crust. Bake at 400 F for 20 min, then reduce oven temperature to 350 F and bake for an additional 40-45 min. When magenta goo erupts from the crust vent (or other cracks in the crust), the pie is generally done. Serve warm.

Current Pie Tally: 57

No comments: