Thursday, January 12, 2017

Vegan Pie for Christmas!



A mere days before they arrived, my dad and stepmom informed me that they were in the initial stages of going vegan. A challenge! So I bought some Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks and the parentals supplied the berries, which were on supersale at the co-op. This is the first vegan pie I have ever made and I did not know what to expect, especially when it came to how the crust would handle. Turns out it was more fally-aparty, as evidenced by the above photo. It also emitted a strong popcorn odor while baking in the oven. Surprisingly though, it was not a disaster. It was tasty, though not AS tasty as real butter, and it baked up nice and flaky like a good crust should. If I ever do another vegan crust, I will attempt to do a lattice design with the hopes that the pieces will be easier to handle. Berry Pie recipe is like this one, just remove the cherries and add strawberries and blackberries. All I tweaked with the crust was a direct substitution of vegan butter in place of real butter.

Current Pie Tally: 215

No comments: