Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Apples are In



Our second trip to my mother's beach cottage this summer warranted this Apple Crumb Pie. I don't like to show up empty-handed. I used Gingergold apples from the farmer's market and it came out great. For the recipe, click here. I made my own standby pie crust rather than using the one in the recipe. I did pre-bake the crust. The other substitution is that I used 3T of fresh orange juice instead of the 1T fresh lemon juice and 2T apple cider. Also, I did not cook the apple filling separately as the recipe suggests. Instead, I threw everything into the pie raw and baked it for about 1.5 hours instead of 40 minutes.

In other farmer's market apple news, I've entered a pie contest on September 16. I might make two pies if they'll allow it - one sweet and one savory. Otherwise, I'll have to decide between a daring entry like Apple Shallot Pie and a traditonal two-crust Apple Pie or Apple Crumb Pie. "A panel of distinguished judges, including Takoma Park Mayor Bruce Williams, will judge the pies based on creativity, appearance, taste and texture. Prizes will be awarded..." If you live nearby, come on out to cheer me on. Judging is at 10:30am. Slices will be sold for charity afterwards.

Current Pie Tally: 93

No comments: