Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Birthday Pies on the Porch



The neighbors, my husband (the birthday boy), and I did a decent job diving into these Pecan and Strawberry Rhubarb Pies on a Friday night in May. It was one of those rare evenings with perfect weather, a great night for pie on the porch. The pie was pretty perfect too, though the Pecan Pie turned out a bit too sorghummy. Maybe I've got some high octane sorghum on hand this time. The stuff I used to get was from the farmer's market in Madison, WI and was probably a bit milder. Next time, I'll use less sorghum and more brown rice syrup, maple syrup, and honey. Pecan Pie recipe can be found here. I used 1/2 c. sorghum instead of the brown rice syrup this time. Strawberry Rhubarb recipe can be found here. I used my own crust recipe, cornstarch instead of arrowroot, didn't do any of that eggyolk glazing bullhonkey, and baked at 425F for 25 min, then reduced to 350F for 40-50 minutes more. There should be pie goo splashing all over at the end. That's how you know it's done.

Current Pie Tally: 167

No comments: