Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Cherry Rhubarb Pie


My one complaint about this pie is that I should have added a bit more sugar. That, or I used inferior cherries that weren't terribly sweet (from a cheap grocery store down the street). I eyeballed the amount of fruit that went into the pie, and I think my ratio of fruit-to-sugar was off. When you're cooking with tart and tasty rhubarb, you really don't want to screw that up. If I made it again, I probably would add another half cup of sugar to the filling. That said, with a dollop of vanilla ice cream to mellow out the tartness, it was perfect. Here's the recipe:

Cherry Rhubarb Pie

ingredients:
pastry dough sufficient for two pie crusts
1 large bag of cherries, pitted and halved
about 6 stalks of rhubarb, cut into 1/2" slices
1 cup sugar
5 T. arrowroot starch

Mix all the filling in a large bowl. Roll out bottom crust and place in pie dish. Pour filling in. Roll out upper crust, place on top, cut vent, and crimp to seal edges. Bake at 425F for 25 min, then reduce heat to 350F and bake for another 40-50 min, until crust is golden and fruit goo starts splashing out of the crust vent.

Current Pie Tally: 88

No comments: