Friday, June 22, 2012

Summer Strawberry Rhubarb Pie



In true Wonder Wife fashion, I pulled this pie out for our "hey, we just moved down the street" neighborhood BBQ. With the generous help of our friends and neighbors, we were able to get all of our belongings moved into our new place by noon. I pulled this pie out of the freezer and popped it in the oven while we were shuffling things around in the afternoon. I was excited to see how the frozen pie would bake up in the new gas oven as opposed to electric. I like it! I would definitely say it does a more even cooking job. I liked it so much I made a Rhubarb Custard Pie the following week. More on that in the next post. Here's the recipe for the Strawberry Rhubarb pie from the freezer:

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

ingredients:
pastry dough sufficient for two pie crusts
2 quarts strawberries, hulled and halved
about 4 cups of rhubarb, cut into 1/2" slices
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup arrowroot starch

Mix all the filling in a large bowl. Roll out bottom crust and place in pie dish. Pour filling in. Roll out upper crust, place on top, cut vent, and crimp to seal edges. Freeze for up to 2-4 months. Bake at 425F for 25 min, then reduce heat to 350F and bake for another 50-70 min, until crust is golden and fruit goo starts splashing out of the crust vent.

*It occurred to me that I normally add cinnamon to Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. I left it out of this one as an oversight and thought it came out quite nice. I wouldn't say I prefer either, but it's definitely good either way.

Current Pie Tally: 86

No comments: