Monday, June 25, 2012

Rhubarb Custard Pie



Reinforcements showed up to help us unpack boxes and arrange furniture. Thanks Meemaw! In exchange, I made Meemaw's favorite pie: Rhubarb Custard. This is my mother's (a.k.a. Meemaw) grandmother's recipe. Since my new house has a gas oven from the '40s, I felt like I was able to recreate the baking conditions that might have been used at that time. The verdict: gas ovens and pies were meant to be together. I followed the original family recipe to the letter and cooked it in my retro Pyrex pie dish. The resulting pie was perfect. The crust was golden and flaky and the custard was creamy and evenly cooked throughout. My mother and I consumed half of the entire pie ourselves on the first day of its existence. This definitely came out better than the first time I made it, and I will definitely be making more. The ingredients are the same as the first version. Here are the cooking instructions I used this time: Bake at 400F for 50-60 min. (52-54 min. for the one I made).

Current Pie Tally: 87

No comments: