Thursday, January 16, 2014

Golden Slumbers Apple Crumb Pie



I am really hitting my stride with this pie. I try to use Goldrush, Gingergold, or Granny Smith apples (about 8-10). This particular pie got me through the week of sleep training that followed the ringing in of the New Year. If you are curious, yes, the first phase of sleep training seems to have worked. We are down to waking up once in the middle of the night now. I figure I'll tolerate another week or so of that and then we'll wean down to zero feedings in the night. Eek! I might need another pie for that. Recipe can be found here. My substitutions are as follows: I used my own crust recipe (the one that involves an entire stick of butter); I used 3 T. of a mixture of fresh orange and lemon juice for the acid/liquid; I think I baked it for an hour and 10 minutes, because I used a large deep dish; and I used dark brown sugar for the crumb topping, which I think made it pleasantly crustier (think creme brulee).

Current Pie Tally: 134

No comments: