Thursday, January 2, 2014

Tastes Like Christmas



This one was the sugar plum dancing in my head this holiday season. I made this for a rockin' Festivas party down the street a couple weeks ago. I needed something fast with easily obtainable ingredients and I wanted it to be downright festive. This one fit the bill. I lament that I could not find chocolate graham crackers for the crust though, so I used regular honey grahams (the crust from my Chocolate Pudding Pie). I also felt there should have been more crushed candy canes on top. And now for my slam-dunk recipe:

Peppermint Bark Pie (makes one deep dish 10" pie)

ingredients:
cooked graham cracker crust
1/3 c. white sugar
1/4 c. arrowroot starch
3.5 c. half n' half
4 large egg yolks
1 bag of white chocolate chips
2 T. unsalted butter
1 t. vanilla extract
whipped cream (1 c. whipping cream + 2 T. powdered sugar)
1 c. mini semisweet chocolate chips
2 candy canes, crushed in the food processor

Whisk sugar and starch in a pan. Whisk in 1 c. of half n' half. Whisk in remaining 2.5 c. half n' half and egg yolks. Whisk over med-hi heat until thickens and boils (about 8 min). Remove from heat. Add chocolate, butter, and vanilla. Whisk to blend and pour into prepared crust. Put plastic wrap on top and chill for about 6 hours. Beat whipped cream and spread on top of pie. Sprinkle liberally with mini chocolate chips and crushed candy cane bits. Serve.

Current Pie Tally: 132

No comments: