Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Apple Blackberry Pie with Crumb Topping



Dinner guests on the horizon means an excuse to make pie! Trader Joe's had some beautiful looking LARGE containers of blackberries last week, so I scooped up a couple and used one for this Apple Blackberry Pie with Crumb Topping. The apples were the bagged Granny Smith ones from Trader Joe's also. It was truly a decadent experience to be eating a wonderful berry pie at the tail end of winter (I hope!). The recipe is very similar to the Plum Lucky Apple Pie from my contest win last year. Substitute 5 Granny Smith apples and a quart of blackberries for the fruit, fresh orange juice for the apple cider, and one Berry Go Go Squeeze packet of applesauce for the apple-prune puree. Topping is the same. Since I used my larger deep dish, I baked it at 350 for an hour. Now I've got my sights set on Pi Day coming up on March 14th. I've been thinking about trying to make a 7 Layer Bar Pie of some sort, but might go with a fruit pie if I can find some rhubarb or affordable and nice looking berries at the store. Or maybe I'll make something else entirely.

Current Pie Tally: 193

No comments: